Internship Housing Insurance Requirement

All summer internship housing residents are required to carry property damage liability insurance while they are staying at Cornish Commons.


If you are a dependent and your parent(s)/guardian(s) have homeowners insurance you can add Cornish Commons under that policy, typically at no cost. If you need to obtain your own insurance, we can assist by adding you to coverage we are currently offering through Renters Legal Liability Insurance. The cost is about $7 a month and we can sign you up when you check-in. You can also obtain your own coverage on the open insurance market.


Regardless of how you obtain the required insurance, you will need to provide proof of coverage before you check-in. You can email the proof of coverage to or bring a copy with you at check-in.


Section 8 of your summer internship housing application states:

Resident is obligated to maintain Property Damage Liability insurance during the Term of the Contract and any subsequent renewal periods. Coverage may be acquired with a traditional renter’s insurance HO-4 policy in the amount of at least one hundred thousand dollars ($100,000.00) for damages to Owner’s property with provisions covering at least perils of fire, smoke, explosion, accidental water discharge and resident-induced sewer backup. Resident shall request that the Owner be named as an Additional Insured. Such policy shall be written as a policy not contributing with and not in excess of coverage, which Owner may carry.